I added an enemy/bonus pointer (the red thing floating around the player) which shows you the direction of the nearest enemy or, if not available, the nearest bonus item. You already have a radar, but especially at the end of the level it makes is much easier to find what is left.
I added two new types of enemies, one who follow each other in a row, chasing you and another one waiting and charging at you if come near enough.
Also I made it a whole lot easier to get credits and even reduced the weapon-prices.
Fixed some minor bugs and restructured some code.
Since my PC is too slow for most game-capturing software (Core2Duo E7200/Radeon HD5700) while running Zerocron, I finally seem to have found a nice and free open source alternative: Open Broadcaster Software (OBS).
All others I tried either were too CPU-hungry and/or had trouble recording sound.
OBS also didn´t perform so good out of the box, I first had to tweak the settings a bit. Basically I changed the H264-encoding to “ultrafast” with medium quality, resulting in low-cpu and hdd-usage. In case you have the same problem, I thought I´d share my settings with you, relevant stuff is marked yellow. Screenshots are from OBS Version 0.657b.
So, additionally to maximizing your highscore you could try to keep your total death count low.
Today I tweaked Zerocrons audio-effects, it sounds more balanced now and if there´s a lot shooting and explosions simultaneously there is no more acoustic inferno. Also internally, I updated all audio-functions to Game Makers new audio-system.
Download: Zerocron Beta 0.9.32 (32MB)
Does it run on your system? Are the controls working fine? Everything running smoothly?
Go and blast some aliens for me :)!
Joypad-Controls are now finished, tested with two Xbox controllers. With fallback for older joypads, tested with a logitech playstation2-like-controller. Also, joystick-detection slowdownbug fixed.
And for your amusement: I somewhen accidently incremented engine smoke size instead of decreasing it. Looks even more funky in movement.
After some betatesting (still not much feedback, though) I´m now working on a more universal gamepad support. It seems older controllers work fine with the existing code, but not Xbox compatible ones. But the Xbox compatible functions don´t support the old joypads – so I guess I have to combine both.
I´m still working on my real arcade-cab, but at least I functionally finished my Ikea Ramvik Arcade Cocktail table. It still needs some decoration and something stylish under the glass to cover the ugly sawed edges.
To build it was simple, I sawed a monitor-shaped hole in it, screwed two boards below to support the monitor, placed the monitor in and connected everything.
It is powerd by an energy-saving TFT-Display and a raspberry pi running RetroPie and generic USB-Joypads.
The only obstacle happend all was done and I wanted to play a game, sat down on my sofa – and then had to realize that the picture was nearly not visible due to the low viewing angle.
I read a bit and voila – if you turn the monitor upside down it works just fine. And if you add “display_rotate=2” to RetroPie´s boot/config.txt it rotates everything accordingly.
Very decorative :)!